Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our Frustation of Ourselves

I have grown up as a Christian essentially my whole life, but not really knowing what it means until around middle school. It was there I had the opportunity to see the clear distinct differences between the lukewarm/cold Christians and those devoted to live their lives trying to glorify God.

It makes me mad how some “Christians” live out their lives. Sure, when asked they would reply with, “I’m Christian.” But actions speak louder than words and those who agree with Christian theology yet don’t live like it, push negative thoughts about the faith into others heads. People see those “Christian’s” actions and realize that they don’t want to be a part of that faith because they aren’t living any different than of them, yet wasting time attending church.

It also frustrates me that people, very high up people in the church screw up. These screw ups though aren’t the normal sinning of lying, or small shoplifting, but socially unacceptable things that even criminals would cringe at. The priests and ministers of mega churches who secretly lead different lives then come to church on Sunday to hypocritically preach.

One time I was debating with a friend if God existed and he kept on asking why those ministers would do the stuff they did. I could see where he was getting at, but I didn’t have an answer. I asked “How am I supposed to know the reasoning behind someone else’s actions?” He still was baffled that those people would do those things even though the minister believed in a certain lifestyle. Nevertheless, what they have done doesn’t help my case.

The catholic school of Xavier, just down the street from Kennedy, doesn’t help either. I know that probably most of them don’t really care about God, even if they believe he exists. As a Christian I support the idea of creating a school where they could teach that kind of theology and such. But the kids that are being forced to go there are creating an unappealing image to Christianity. There are many occasions when I come into contact with them, primarily through sports. Their actions don’t represent what their school tries to as they would sometimes throw water filled condoms into the opponent’s showers and then dart off.

The term “Christian” is more and more becoming only something you circle on a survey and less about living it out.

No comments: