Monday, October 20, 2008

Climbing a Mountain

My friends and I went to Colorado this summer to drop off my sister and help her move back into college and also to visit a friend working there over the summer. While visiting him we decided to climb a mountain, named Gray's peak. This is the first mountain that I would have climbed at the time. Being an inexperienced mountain climber, I handled the weather in a way in which I regret. I had at first dressed up for colder weather and because hiking requires a lot of muscular activity, so my core body temperature rose and I began to perspire. Even though my core body was hot, my appendages were still chilly and I therefore kept my sweat shirt on. I began to get too hot for comfort, even with my cold surroundings, so I took off my sweat shirt and became instantly relieved. This feeling only lasted for about a second until I realized my mistake to sweat. My moist body was chilled by the mountain breezes while my appendages remained cold. So I placed the sweat shirt back on again to warm up and again I become over heated and start to sweat after a couple of minutes. So then again I took off the sweat shirt just to experience the same sensations that came upon me the first time. This process repeated itself at least a couple of times, just making my body more moist than before. After we had climbed the mountain, returned to the travel head and arrived back at our camp site, I was finally dry. My t-shirt showed it too as I lifted up my arms to see a stained white outline making a ring around my armpits. While discovering this, one of my friends noticed it as well. It was a sort of show and tell as I showed off to my other friends what I had just accomplished. I blamed it all on my lack of experience in mountain climbing and how I didn't know to not start out in too warm of clothing.

No comments: