Monday, February 2, 2009

Personal goal

When the end of the school year arrives I would have liked if these goals of mine were to be accomplished. My first is to go to state for track for the 800 meter race, whether it be by relay or open. Also my goal is to have my time for the 800 meter race to be my personal best, hopefully under two minutes. I would have also liked to be in the best shape of my life both physically and mentally.

This goal is important to me because of my family’s position on the economic ladder. My parents will not be able to pay for my college and if I do well in track then my opportunities for a college experience, outside serving in the military, increase dramatically. It is also important to me because through this one goal, I will have built characteristics that will help me succeed much later in life. I will have gained much self discipline, by forcing myself to run and stay active when I don’t feel like doing so. Years down the road when my metabolism begins to slow, I am confident that this built up self discipline and mental toughness will help me maintain my weight. The attributes that I posses can be traced back to when I first started training.

When I achieve my goals I will feel that I have accomplished something to be proud of, and definitely humbled. Humbled by the fact that God would have blessed me with the ability to run the way I do, to train with intensity. He created me after all and gave me the talent to run, so what can I brag about if all I have was given to me.

In order to obtain this goal I must sacrifice many things in my every day life. I will have to begin to eat for track, such as more potassium in my diet. This means for me less cake, pie, ice cream and more bananas and assorted fruits. Obviously, I will sacrifice and expend a lot more energy throughout the day and that means being more tired while I’m awake. I will be drowsy in the day because of my exhausting workouts, but will have to maintain my focus in class. Sacrificing many of these things will be important, but I must get rid of the time wasters of my life. Primarily playing video games and watching TV are things that I must sacrifice to attain my goal. These activities just take up too much of my time, and if I want to truly succeed, they must go.

The only obstacle in my way is me. That’s right, me. It’s the tiny voice inside me that calls me to relax to take it easy. It beckons to me, yodeling to the Swiss part of my laziness. But I must become deaf to that part of me.

No comments: